The Parents With Purpose is a workgroup for parents of school-age students with disabilities. Directed The Arc of Indiana County the Local Task Force on the Right to Education of Armstrong and Indiana counties. The purpose of the workgroup is to provide parents with support, education, and advocacy. For more about the Local Task Force on the Right to Education, visit the organization’s website by clicking HERE.
The workgroup meets every third Thursday alternating times of 10:00 AM one month and then 6:30 PM the next. The workgroup will meet in person at The Arc in the future and is currently available on Zoom. The workgroup will always have the Zoom feature available event when in-person resumes. For the link to the Zoom, meeting contact the office at 724-34-8230 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Workgroup is made up of parents, educators, service providers, and governmental agency personnel. The workgroup offers guidance to parents of students with disabilities that are making the transition from any educational setting to a different one, with an emphasis on the transition from high school to post-secondary education, employment, and community living. The workgroup provides advocacy support with everything from the IEP process to community inclusiveness and issues with employment or independent living discrimination.
What Parents With Purpose provides:
- Provides on-going mini-workshops, trainings to assist in transition, Special Education and advocacy.
- Provides advocacy assistance/mentoring for parents of students.
- Provides an opportunity for parents to discuss advocacy, transition, and educational issues with other parents and agencies identifying barriers an creating action plans and positive solutions.
- Provides a one-stop shop platform for parents to network with service providers, state and govermental agencies, organizations and each other assisting with every level of a students educational journey.
TOPICS ADDRESSED: Advocacy, Understanding the IEP, Secondary Transition, Work Benefits, Supports Coordination, Self-Advocacy, Disability Awareness, Special Education Law, Post -Secondary Education & Training Opportunities, Preparing for life after school, and Promoting Independence
Past Meeting Recordings below:
Agencies To Help With Transition, Advocacy, and Education
- Armstrong-Indiana Intermediate Unit (ARIN IU-28)
- ICW Vocational Services, Inc. (Indiana Co.)
- Progressive Workshop, Inc. (Armstrong Co.)
- Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR)
- Community Guidance Center (Indiana Co.)
- Family Counseling Center (Armstrong Co.)
- Career TRACK (Armstrong, Butler, and Indiana Counties)
- Armstrong-Indiana Behavioral and Developmental Health Program (BDHP)
- Social Security Administration (SSA)
- Department of Human Services (DHS)
- The Arc of Indiana County
For more information or if you would like to be involved with this Workgroup, please contact The Arc of Indiana County.
Arc of Indiana County
120 North 5th Street, Suite #2
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: (724) 349-8230
Fax: (724) 801-8549
Contact us via email
Funding is provided by the Edith L. Trees Charitable Trust